top of page
Grand View Lodge Snow Summit.jpg
Airbnb Big Bear

If your planning to rent your home the City Of Big Bear Lake requires you to get a Vacation Rental permit .We know that can be scare working with the City, but we are here to help and walkthrough the process. We handle the permitting process and inspection for you. 

Vacation rental must be located in Big Bear Lake jurisdiction (zip code 92315). Homes located outside of this zip code must contact San Bernardino County to register. Please feel free to contact the City of Big Bear Lake to verify the location of your property if needed.

Apply & Submit a Vacation Rental Program Registration Application with supporting documentation online. New applicants are required to provide proof of ownership (recorded deed or final closing statement from escrow). If ownership is under a trust, LLC, etc., documentation must be included to show all people involved with that entity (operating agreement, trust documents, etc.). Applicants must also include proof of current liability insurance coverage for the vacation rental (insurance declaration pages). 

Registration Fee $550.00

Pass a Home Inspection. Once the City receives your initial application, you will be required to pass a home inspection. You will be emailed about scheduling your home inspection once your application is fully processed by staff. Click here to download the Vacation Rental Checklist. Please be advised, the registration and inspection process can take 2-4 weeks to complete. You are NOT allowed to rent your home during this period.

Owner and Agent Certification. All agents (check-in, 24/7 response, and management company staff) and owners (except those who hire a full-service management company and never rent the property on their own) must be certified by the City annually. Certification is currently in the form of a 25 question exam that must be passed with a 100% score. The answers to the questions can be found in the new vacation rental ordinance passed by City Council on 8/16/21. The ordinance can be downloaded from the link at the top of this page. Please include a copy of the Certificate with your application. There is no longer a requirement for a notarized affidavit to be submitted.

Post Vacation Rental License.  

The registration process is complete after all requirements above are met, and an approval email is sent from the Govpilot system with the license attached. This license must be printed and posted in the vacation rental. The license must always remain current and valid if the home is being advertised or rented on a short-term basis. If the license is not kept current and valid the owner and/or management risk receiving penalties outlined in the vacation rental ordinance.

Good Neighbor Policy needs to be signed by all guests. Click here to download the file
Effective September 15, 2021, a Good Neighbor Policy must be signed by each responsible party during the in-person check-in process and prior to occupancy.  Additionally, this version can serve as the internal notice that must be posted inside the residence in a visible place for the guests. Remember that a signed version of the Good Neighbor Policy must be presented to the City upon request.

Remit Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) On a Monthly Basis.

 You are required to collect and remit 12% of your gross receipts monthly.  Remittances and payments are due by the last day of the month following the reporting period.

bottom of page